Subject: Re: bug#6617: linux kernel C style (fwd)

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 19:17:52 +0000

Hello, everybody.

On Sun, Apr 24, 2022 at 14:16:23 -0700, Sean Whitton wrote:
> Hello Alan,

> On Sun 24 Apr 2022 at 02:50PM GMT, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> > After a bit of thought, I agree with you.  I think here it is better
> > just to add the setting of indent-tabs-mode to the "linux" style.  Most
> > users of "linux" will have that variable set to t one way or another,
> > and so won't notice.

> > There will be a few users using the style for non-Linux projects, who
> > will be used to indent-tabs-mode being nil.  That is just unfortunate.
> > I think the balance of benefits and problems comes down on the side of
> > this abrupt change.

> Right.

> > I intend to apply the following patch to cc-styles.el soon.  If you
> > want to test it you're very welcome, but please note that since it
> > changes a variable, the amended CC Mode should be the first CC Mode
> > you load in the Emacs session.  (Otherwise, you'll need to do fancy
> > things with `makunbound' before loading the new CC Mode.)

> I'm not in the middle of any C projects using the Linux style atm, so I
> don't think I'll be able to test, but your patch looks basically
> equivalent to the "linux-tabs" thing I was doing, so probably doesn't
> need a lot of testing.  Thanks for thinking this one over!

I've now committed the change to cc-styles.el, and am closing the bug
with this post.

> -- 
> Sean Whitton

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).