Subject: Re: bug#6617: linux kernel C style (fwd)

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 14:16:23 -0700

Hello Alan,

On Sun 24 Apr 2022 at 02:50PM GMT, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> After a bit of thought, I agree with you.  I think here it is better
> just to add the setting of indent-tabs-mode to the "linux" style.  Most
> users of "linux" will have that variable set to t one way or another,
> and so won't notice.
>
> There will be a few users using the style for non-Linux projects, who
> will be used to indent-tabs-mode being nil.  That is just unfortunate.
> I think the balance of benefits and problems comes down on the side of
> this abrupt change.

Right.

> I intend to apply the following patch to cc-styles.el soon.  If you
> want to test it you're very welcome, but please note that since it
> changes a variable, the amended CC Mode should be the first CC Mode
> you load in the Emacs session.  (Otherwise, you'll need to do fancy
> things with `makunbound' before loading the new CC Mode.)

I'm not in the middle of any C projects using the Linux style atm, so I
don't think I'll be able to test, but your patch looks basically
equivalent to the "linux-tabs" thing I was doing, so probably doesn't
need a lot of testing.  Thanks for thinking this one over!

-- 
Sean Whitton