Subject: Re: bug#6616: S-TAB is mismapped in the *Help* buffer

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 10:22:34 +0200

> Hm. Then perhaps I do disagree.

I still think you don't.

> I thought that I had misunderstood
> and this was not, after all, about binding the S-tab or backtab key to
> any given command by default, but it was just about linking S-tab to
> backtab (both being keys).

Indeed, that's what it's about.

> I would oppose binding either key to some command everywhere,
> "fallback" or not.

It's not bound to anything in global-map, AFAIK.

> S-tab and backtab keys can be linked to each other by default for
> convenience, but they should both be free of any command by default -
> except in particular contexts (e.g. *Help*, Info).

That's the current (new) state in emacs-23 (not yet propagated to trunk).

> BTW, there are not only the S-tab and backtab keys that should
> (perhaps) be linked together by default, but also the S-iso-tab key.
> Typically, when code binds S-tab it also needs to bind S-iso-tab.
> At least in some cases, we have already taken care of that via
> backtab, IIRC.

Never heard of `iso-tab' (we have `iso-lefttab', tho, so maybe that's
a hint that there's an `iso-tab' somewhere as well).  Is that event
found under W32, or X11, or when?

        Stefan