Subject: bug#66151: 29.1.50; daemon crashing after X forwarding disconnects

From: Benjamin Schwehn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 18:51:09 +0200

On Fri, 22 Sept 2023 at 17:07, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I think this confirms what Po Lu was saying: Emacs cannot recover when
> you close the connection while some frame using that connection is
> still on display.  You should close all such frames before
> disconnecting.

Ok, sounds like there is no easy fix, thanks for the explanation!

I am curious though, before switching to lucid, emacs logged this during startup
as systemd service:

Warning: due to a long standing Gtk+ bug
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/221
Emacs might crash when run in daemon mode and the X11 connection is
unexpectedly lost.
Using an Emacs configured with --with-x-toolkit=lucid does not have
this problem.

Do you happen to know what (if any) difference using lucid or gtk does in this
use case?

> > It's not a terrible issue for me, but annoyingly happens every time the VPN
> > connection is lost (~twice a day) and I have emacs open (~all the time :)).
>
> Why is the VPN connection lost so frequently?

Well, it is a work provided setup I have no control over. Half the disconnects
are due to me missing the mandatory re-authentication every x hours, the other
half I don't know.

I had quickly experimented with xpra (https://github.com/Xpra-org/xpra), which
should keep a persistent X11 connection. But it increased latency too much for
my liking.

Ben