Subject: 30.0.50; Duplicate :tag in remote-file-name-inhibit-cache

From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 11:41:32 +0200

Severity: minor
Tags: patch

Building master, I see the following warning:

  In toplevel form:
  files.el:1327:12: Warning: in defcustom for ‘remote-file-name-inhibit-cache’:
  duplicated :tag string in ‘choice’: "Do not use file name cache"

Is the following patch acceptable?
It tries to improve on the following points:
- Avoid too much negation
- Fix then/than typo
- Avoid mid-sentence %v :format since it extends to eol

>From cd861f4e80b9bd0d656b024834ea49dbbd02f399 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 11:27:29 +0200
Subject: [PATCH] Improve remote-file-name-inhibit-cache :type

* lisp/files.el (remote-file-name-inhibit-cache): Avoid duplicated
:tag string.  Try to clarify wording and formatting.
---
 lisp/files.el | 8 ++++----
 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

diff --git a/lisp/files.el b/lisp/files.el
index b67482a2f74..3f351d2aff8 100644
--- a/lisp/files.el
+++ b/lisp/files.el
@@ -1322,10 +1322,10 @@ remote-file-name-inhibit-cache
   :group 'tramp
   :version "24.1"
   :type '(choice
-	  (const   :tag "Do not inhibit file name cache" nil)
-	  (const   :tag "Do not use file name cache" t)
-	  (integer :tag "Do not use file name cache"
-		   :format "Do not use file name cache older then %v seconds"
+          (const   :tag "Inhibit remote file cache" t)
+          (const   :tag "Cache remote file attributes" nil)
+          (integer :tag "Cache remote file attributes with expiration"
+                   :format "Cache expiry in seconds: %v"
 		   :value 10)))
 
 (defcustom remote-file-name-access-timeout nil
-- 
2.40.1

If it's acceptable, does it belong on master or emacs-29?

Thanks,
-- 
Basil

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.17.8, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2023-09-22 built on tia
Repository revision: d71b9673a07da93cd7651540cd015636b8f66fda
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101008
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux trixie/sid

Configured using:
 'configure 'CFLAGS=-O2 -ggdb3' -C --prefix=/home/blc/.local
 --enable-checking=structs --with-file-notification=yes
 --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-x'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM
LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_IE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 38057 8789) (symbols 48 5209 0) (strings 32 14031 1562)
 (string-bytes 1 382797) (vectors 16 10297)
 (vector-slots 8 156208 12401) (floats 8 23 23) (intervals 56 259 0)
 (buffers 992 10))