Subject: bug#66145: closed (Re: bug#66145: 30.0.50; cperl-mode unexpected fontification in comments)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 12:12:02 +0000

Your bug report

#66145: 30.0.50; cperl-mode unexpected fontification in comments

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
66145: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=66145
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#66145: 30.0.50; cperl-mode unexpected fontification in comments
From: Harald Jörg <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 12:11:15 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This is now fixed in master by some reordering of rules, so that the
rules don't need to override elements which have already been fontified.

Contrary to my original belief, the patch to Bug#22867 only fixed
unexpected fontification of arrays and hashes as a whole, but not for
elements of these.

-- 
Cheers,
haj

Subject: 30.0.50; cperl-mode unexpected fontification in comments
From: Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 17:59:28 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

After emacs -Q
C-x C-f bug.pl
M-x cperl-mode
Type something like this:
sub foo {
   # Here we do something like
   # this: $thing [ num_things ]->{prop}
}

$thing and prop get fontified.  That's unexpected.

If I leave:
# this: $thing
it doesn't get fontified.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 8, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
  3.24.33, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-09-21 built on tbb-desktop
Repository revision: a45d33d8aa80482d185a130059dd099e24d7aec1
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12201001
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_MONETARY: es_AR.UTF-8
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: es_AR.UTF-8
   value of $LC_TIME: es_AR.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: CPerl

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort emacsbug mail-extr message sendmail mailcap yank-media puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util
ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib cperl-mode rx facemenu perl-mode rmc iso-transl
tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer
nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 46050 17086) (symbols 48 6035 0) (strings 32 15847 1885)
  (string-bytes 1 467707) (vectors 16 11446)
  (vector-slots 8 175080 19925) (floats 8 25 23) (intervals 56 281 0)
  (buffers 992 11))