Subject: ghc-memory not maintained anymore

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 16:34:58 +0200

Hi,

The ghc-memory package uses the https://github.com/vincenthz/hs-memory
git repository.

Days ago[1] that repository was "archived" / made read-only, so is is
not maintained anymore.

The bad news is that ghc-memory package is used directly or indirectly
by about 1400 packages.

It only happened days ago and that other GNU/Linux distributions and
many upstream projects are affected as well but I'm unsure if they know
about this issue yet, so there is still a lot of unknown.

As a side note it might be interesting to try to see if it's easy or not
to detect cases like that with guix lint, as github might have some API
that enable to detect if a project is archived or not. Though I've no
idea how much work or maintenance something like that would require.

If something like that is ever made, it would also probably only
work for packages that don't have bundled dependencies.

References:
-----------
[1]Probably around the 20th september[2].
[2]https://github.com/vincenthz/hs-memory/pull/98#event-10418690170

Denis.