Subject: bug#66139: closed (Re: 30.0.50; cperl-mode problem with format)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 14:45:02 +0000

Your bug report

#66139: 30.0.50; cperl-mode problem with format

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
66139: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=66139
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: 30.0.50; cperl-mode problem with format
From: Harald Jörg <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 14:43:49 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Thanks for spotting this.

It seems that format declarations were not adapted to
electric-indent-mode nor jit-lock-mode.  This caused errors when
functions in cperl-mode were called with "unfinished" format
declarations, i.e. while typing them.

This has now been fixed in the master branch.

--
Cheers,
haj

Subject: 30.0.50; cperl-mode problem with format
From: Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 11:26:32 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

After emacs -Q:
C-x C-f bug.pl
M-x cperl-mode
Try to type the following:
format TOP =
****
.

First, when hitting RET after the first line, point doesn't go to column
0.  I expected it to go to column 0.
Then, after hitting RET so I can type the '.', it goes to column 2
again.  I delete the indentation space, type . and hit RET, and again
. gets moved to column 2.  I expect it to stay put.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 7, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
  3.24.33, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-09-20 built on tbb-desktop
Repository revision: f0794ac9cafb8354119ef0052c67f092ed059eb4
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12201001
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_MONETARY: es_AR.UTF-8
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: es_AR.UTF-8
   value of $LC_TIME: es_AR.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: CPerl

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils cperl-mode rx facemenu perl-mode rmc iso-transl
tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer
nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 45859 9383) (symbols 48 6034 0) (strings 32 15827 2029)
  (string-bytes 1 467370) (vectors 16 11441)
  (vector-slots 8 174901 13972) (floats 8 25 23) (intervals 56 298 0)
  (buffers 992 11))