Subject: bug#66136: closed (Re: bug#66136: 29.1; byte-compiler reports "misplaced interactive spec" with empty fct in lexical environment)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 13:24:02 +0000

Your bug report

#66136: 29.1; byte-compiler reports "misplaced interactive spec" with empty fct in lexical environment

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
66136: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=66136
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#66136: 29.1; byte-compiler reports "misplaced interactive spec" with empty fct in lexical environment
From: Mattias Engdegård <[email-masked]>
To: Jens Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 15:22:56 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

25 sep. 2023 kl. 12.24 skrev Jens Schmidt <[email-masked]>:

> As expected, your patch fixes this issue.

Thank you, a slightly improved version is now on master. Closing.

Subject: 29.1; byte-compiler reports "misplaced interactive spec" with empty fct in lexical environment
From: "Jens Schmidt" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 12:44:01 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Write the following to a file foo.el:

-------------------- foo.el --------------------
;;; -*- lexical-binding: t -*-

(defun delete-process@emacs-fix (&rest patch-args)
  "Allows interactive calls."
  (interactive
   (list
    (completing-read "Delete process: "
                     (mapcar
                      (lambda (process)
                        (list (process-name process)))
                      (process-list))))))
-------------------- foo.el --------------------

(This is used to advise function `delete-process' in my .emacs.)

Then start Emacs as "emacs -Q" and

  M-x byte-compile-file ~/foo.el RET

For me this results in two warnings:

-------------------- *Compile-Log* --------------------
Compiling file /home/jschmidt/foo.el at Thu Sep 21 12:34:05 2023
Entering directory ‘/home/jschmidt/’

In delete-process@emacs-fix:
foo.el:5:4: Warning: misplaced interactive spec: ‘(interactive (list
    (completing-read Delete process: (mapcar #'(lambda (process) (list
    (process-name process))) (process-list)))))’
foo.el:3:40: Warning: Unused lexical argument `patch-args'
-------------------- *Compile-Log* --------------------

I'm OK with the latter, but I think the former is incorrect.

The former warning goes away if any of the following is done:

- the "lexical-binding: t" is removed from the file
- `patch-args' is renamed to `_patch-args'
- an explicit nil body is added to the function

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2023-08-30, modified by Debian
 built on x86-csail-01
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101008
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux trixie/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/29.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/29.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/29.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/29.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars --without-gsettings 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/reproducible-path/emacs-29.1+1=. -fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM
LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: POSIX
  value of $LC_TIME: POSIX
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
comp comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-extra
help-mode bytecomp byte-compile cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 76983 14037)
 (symbols 48 7141 0)
 (strings 32 20219 2411)
 (string-bytes 1 594205)
 (vectors 16 15313)
 (vector-slots 8 322958 19812)
 (floats 8 40 46)
 (intervals 56 304 0)
 (buffers 984 11))