Subject: 29.1; byte-compiler reports "misplaced interactive spec" with empty fct in lexical environment

From: "Jens Schmidt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 12:44:01 +0200

Write the following to a file foo.el:

-------------------- foo.el --------------------
;;; -*- lexical-binding: t -*-

(defun delete-process@emacs-fix (&rest patch-args)
  "Allows interactive calls."
  (interactive
   (list
    (completing-read "Delete process: "
                     (mapcar
                      (lambda (process)
                        (list (process-name process)))
                      (process-list))))))
-------------------- foo.el --------------------

(This is used to advise function `delete-process' in my .emacs.)

Then start Emacs as "emacs -Q" and

  M-x byte-compile-file ~/foo.el RET

For me this results in two warnings:

-------------------- *Compile-Log* --------------------
Compiling file /home/jschmidt/foo.el at Thu Sep 21 12:34:05 2023
Entering directory ‘/home/jschmidt/’

In delete-process@emacs-fix:
foo.el:5:4: Warning: misplaced interactive spec: ‘(interactive (list
    (completing-read Delete process: (mapcar #'(lambda (process) (list
    (process-name process))) (process-list)))))’
foo.el:3:40: Warning: Unused lexical argument `patch-args'
-------------------- *Compile-Log* --------------------

I'm OK with the latter, but I think the former is incorrect.

The former warning goes away if any of the following is done:

- the "lexical-binding: t" is removed from the file
- `patch-args' is renamed to `_patch-args'
- an explicit nil body is added to the function

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2023-08-30, modified by Debian
 built on x86-csail-01
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101008
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux trixie/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/29.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/29.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/29.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/29.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars --without-gsettings 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/reproducible-path/emacs-29.1+1=. -fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM
LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: POSIX
  value of $LC_TIME: POSIX
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
comp comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-extra
help-mode bytecomp byte-compile cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 76983 14037)
 (symbols 48 7141 0)
 (strings 32 20219 2411)
 (string-bytes 1 594205)
 (vectors 16 15313)
 (vector-slots 8 322958 19812)
 (floats 8 40 46)
 (intervals 56 304 0)
 (buffers 984 11))