Subject: bug#66133: emacs-28.2 to emacs-29.1 made default-frame-alist/initial-frame-alist settings non functional

From: Joakim Tjernlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 09:05:39 +0000

On Thu, 2023-09-21 at 11:00 +0200, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> I have in site-start.el:
> (setq default-frame-alist '((background-color . "#333333") (foreground-color . "White") (cursor-color . "White")))
> (setq initial-frame-alist default-frame-alist)
> 
> With above settings I expect to have a Dark Green background and white text.
> These settings stopped working in emacs-29.1, now I see a White background and Black text.
> 
> As I use MATE I also have:
> 
> cat /etc/xrdb/Emacs.ad
> Emacs.default.attributeForeground:	WINDOW_FOREGROUND
> Emacs.default.attributeBackground:	WINDOW_BACKGROUND
>  
> Emacs*Foreground:		WINDOW_FOREGROUND
> Emacs*Background:		WINDOW_BACKGROUND
> Emacs*menubar*foreground:	FOREGROUND
> Emacs*menubar*background:	BACKGROUND
> Emacs*popup*Foreground:		FOREGROUND
> Emacs*popup*Background:		BACKGROUND
> Emacs*Dialog*foreground:	FOREGROUND
> Emacs*Dialog*background:	BACKGROUND
> Emacs*XlwScrollBar.Foreground:	FOREGROUND
> Emacs*XlwScrollBar.Background:	BACKGROUND
> Emacs*topToolBarShadowColor:	BACKGROUND
> Emacs*bottomToolBarShadowColor:	BACKGROUND
> Emacs*backgroundToolBarColor:	BACKGROUND
> Emacs.scroll-bar.attributeBackground: BACKGROUND
> Emacs.scroll-bar.attributeForeground: FOREGROUND
> Emacs.mode-line.attributeForeground: FOREGROUND
> Emacs.tool-bar.attributeBackground: BACKGROUND
> Emacs.tool-bar.attributeForeground: FOREGROUND
> 
> (MATE replaces the sym names FOREGROUND/BACKGROUND etc. with Theme colours)
> 
> Removing this file make emacs-29.1 work again w.r.t default-frame-alist/initial-frame-alist settings above.

Forgot to include M-x report-emacs-bug:

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.17.8) of 2023-09-19 built on localhost
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101008
System Description: Gentoo Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --datarootdir=/usr/share
 --disable-silent-rules --docdir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-29.1-r1
 --htmldir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-29.1-r1/html --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --program-suffix=-emacs-29 --includedir=/usr/include/emacs-29
 --infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-29 --localstatedir=/var
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --without-compress-install --without-hesiod --without-pop
 --with-file-notification=inotify --with-pdumper --enable-acl
 --with-dbus --without-modules --without-gameuser --with-libgmp
 --with-gpm --without-native-compilation --with-json --with-kerberos
 --with-kerberos5 --with-lcms2 --without-xml2 --without-mailutils
 --without-selinux --with-sqlite3 --with-gnutls --with-libsystemd
 --with-threads --with-tree-sitter --without-wide-int --with-sound=alsa
 --with-zlib --with-x --without-pgtk --without-ns --without-gconf
 --with-gsettings --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-xpm --with-xft
 --with-cairo --with-harfbuzz --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt
 --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-xaw3d --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --without-webp --without-imagemagick
 --with-dumping=pdumper 'CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe -Wno-deprecated-declarations
 -Wno-error
 -fdebug-prefix-map=..=/var/tmp/portage/app-editors/emacs-29.1-r1'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBSYSTEMD NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND
SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TREE_SITTER X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM LUCID
ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake/cmake-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/desktop-entry-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/desktop-file-utils/desktop-entry-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/vhdl-mode/vhdl-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/progmodes/vhdl-mode

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils xdvi-search finder-inf
package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
url-vars site-gentoo cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs cl-loaddefs cl-lib dmacro
rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 81611 8325)
 (symbols 48 9677 0)
 (strings 32 29159 2430)
 (string-bytes 1 994495)
 (vectors 16 17918)
 (vector-slots 8 234430 11990)
 (floats 8 27 35)
 (intervals 56 361 0)
 (buffers 984 11))