Subject: 28.2; visible-bell breaks setterm --inversescreen on

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 22:14:49 +0200

in black linux console:

   $ setterm --inversescreen on

after that, in white linux console:

   $ emacs -Q --eval '(setq visible-bell t)'

all looks fine, emacs background is white
now press page-up key to trigger visual bell
and suddenly emacs background is black
visual bell should preserve terminal colors

the same problem is in a X based terminals but with the command:

   $ emacs -nw -Q --eval '(setq visible-bell t)'

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars)
System Description: NixOS 23.05 (Stoat)

Configured using:
 'configure
 --prefix=/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2
 --disable-build-details --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-xft --with-cairo --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: 
  value of $EMACSNATIVELOADPATH: /nix/store/bvkjcb6pzd3d51q9j7yhf3bhljxlvb95-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/native-lisp::
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=fcitx
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  eev-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
~/git/emacs-unoffice/junk hides ~/git/emacs-pdf/junk
~/git/emacs-unoffice/junk hides ~/git/emacs-framebuffer/junk
/run/current-system/sw/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start hides /nix/store/bvkjcb6pzd3d51q9j7yhf3bhljxlvb95-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start
/run/current-system/sw/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start hides /nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start
/nix/store/bvkjcb6pzd3d51q9j7yhf3bhljxlvb95-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/transient-20230602.2121/transient hides /nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/transient
/nix/store/bvkjcb6pzd3d51q9j7yhf3bhljxlvb95-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/let-alist-1.0.6/let-alist hides /nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/emacs-lisp/let-alist

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail term/xterm xterm elm-mode
elm-interactive elm-font-lock elm-indent-simple elm-indent elm-imenu
elm-format reformatter elm-tags elm-util pulse color let-alist f
f-shortdoc shortdoc elm-defuns bmenu watch term2 shell2 vc-git
vc-dispatcher emacs-btap ffap emacs-unoffice view org ob ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint
org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp
ob-core ob-eval org-table oc-basic bibtex iso8601 ol org-keys oc
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func emacs-pdf printing ps-print
ps-print-loaddefs ps-def lpr emacs-framebuffer eev-beginner eev-load
eev-rcirc eev-videolinks eev-audiovideo eev-wconfig eev-rstdoc
eev-helpful eev-kla eev-testblocks eev-edit eev-pdflike eejump eev-brxxx
eev-code eev-hlinks eev-tlinks eev-wrap eev-env eev-elinks eev-plinks
eev-blinks eev-template0 eev-anchors eev-codings eepitch disp-table
eev-mode eev-eval eev-multiwindow eev-flash eev-intro dumb-jump popup s
email-eww cltl clhs notmuch notmuch-tree notmuch-jump notmuch-hello
notmuch-show notmuch-print notmuch-crypto notmuch-mua notmuch-message
notmuch-draft notmuch-maildir-fcc notmuch-address notmuch-company
notmuch-parser notmuch-wash coolj goto-addr icalendar diary-lib
diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs notmuch-tag notmuch-lib
notmuch-compat hl-line mm-view mml-smime smime dig eww-lnum eww xdg
url-queue shr kinsoku svg xml dom mm-url gnus nnheader wid-edit
magit-submodule magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect
magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit
magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge
magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit
magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu magit-diff
smerge-mode diff git-commit log-edit message rmc puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr
mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log magit-core
magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify magit-margin magit-transient
magit-process with-editor comp comp-cstr warnings rx shell pcomplete
server magit-mode transient cl-extra help-mode magit-git magit-base
magit-section format-spec cursor-sensor crm dash compat compat-29
diff-mode paredit slime-asdf grep slime-fancy slime-indentation
slime-cl-indent cl-indent slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu
slime-package-fu slime-references slime-compiler-notes-tree advice
slime-scratch slime-presentations bridge slime-macrostep macrostep
slime-mdot-fu slime-enclosing-context slime-fancy-trace
slime-fancy-inspector slime-fuzzy slime-c-p-c slime-autodoc
slime-editing-commands slime-repl slime-parse slime apropos compile
text-property-search etags fileloop generator xref project arc-mode
archive-mode noutline outline pp comint ansi-color ring hyperspec
thingatpt picolisp tsm easy-mmode edmacro kmacro pcase slime-autoloads
info package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
x multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 437231 11723)
 (symbols 48 32051 0)
 (strings 32 122018 4648)
 (string-bytes 1 4605735)
 (vectors 16 57338)
 (vector-slots 8 976678 13985)
 (floats 8 643 306)
 (intervals 56 425 0)
 (buffers 992 12))