Subject: bug#66125: 29.1; configure --with-small-ja-dic has no effect

From: Ulrich Mueller <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 11:15:34 +0200

>>>>> On Sat, 23 Sep 2023, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Please try the patch below.  If it gives good results, I will install
> it on the emacs-29 branch.

Hm, this creates an empty leim/small-ja-dic-option file after the first
round of configure+make:

$ ./configure --with-small-ja-dic && make -j8
[...]
  INFO     Collecting OKURI-NASI entries
[...]
$ ls -ltr leim/small-ja-dic-option lisp/leim/ja-dic/ja-dic.el*
-rw-r--r-- 1 ulm users       0 Sep 23 10:43 leim/small-ja-dic-option
-rw-r--r-- 1 ulm users 2257189 Sep 23 10:43 lisp/leim/ja-dic/ja-dic.el
-rw-r--r-- 1 ulm users 2248443 Sep 23 10:43 lisp/leim/ja-dic/ja-dic.elc

Only after running configure+make for a second time the file contains
the information (but the dictionary is being rebuilt, although the
option hasn't changed):

$ ./configure --with-small-ja-dic && make -j8
[...]
  INFO     Collecting OKURI-NASI entries
[...]
$ ls -ltr leim/small-ja-dic-option lisp/leim/ja-dic/ja-dic.el*
-rw-r--r-- 1 ulm users      43 Sep 23 10:45 leim/small-ja-dic-option
-rw-r--r-- 1 ulm users 2257189 Sep 23 10:46 lisp/leim/ja-dic/ja-dic.el
-rw-r--r-- 1 ulm users 2248443 Sep 23 10:46 lisp/leim/ja-dic/ja-dic.elc
$ cat leim/small-ja-dic-option 
;; Generated with small ja-dic option: yes

Also, shouldn't leim/small-ja-dic-option be added to the release
tarball?