Subject: bug#66123: closed (Re: bug#66123: 29.1; tar-mode errors when saving remote files)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 07:26:02 +0000

Your bug report

#66123: 29.1; tar-mode errors when saving remote files

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
66123: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=66123
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#66123: 29.1; tar-mode errors when saving remote files
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Dan McCarthy <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 09:25:21 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 29.2

Dan McCarthy <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Dan,

> That fixes it. Thank you!

Thanks for the feedback. I've pushed the patch to the repositories. Will
be available with Emacs 29.2 and with Tramp 2.6.1.3 from GNU ELPA.

Closing the bug.

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 29.1; tar-mode errors when saving remote files
From: Dan McCarthy <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 11:32:04 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The setup is the same as bug#55166:

/ssh:dan@solstice:/tmp/ #$ touch a b c
/ssh:dan@solstice:/tmp/ #$ tar cf test.tar a b c
/ssh:dan@solstice:/tmp/ #$ xz test.tar

but in this case write-file throws an error instead of failing silently:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument "listp
(tramp-file-name-handler tramp-crypt-file-name-handler .
inhibit-file-name-handlers)")
  signal(wrong-type-argument ("listp (tramp-file-name-handler
tramp-crypt-file-name-handler . inhibit-file-name-handlers)"))
  basic-save-buffer-2()
  basic-save-buffer-1()
  basic-save-buffer(nil)
  save-buffer()
  write-file("/ssh:dan@solstice:/tmp/test2.tar.xz" t)
  funcall-interactively(write-file "/ssh:dan@solstice:/tmp/test2.tar.xz" t)
  call-interactively(write-file nil nil)
  command-execute(write-file)

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.31,
 cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-07-31 built on october.example.org
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12014000
System Description: Slackware 15.0 x86_64

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND
SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM
GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils sh-script smie treesit executable calculator
vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs log-view pcvs-util vc bug-reference
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs cl-extra shortdoc text-property-search thingatpt
help-fns radix-tree cl-print debug backtrace help-mode find-func vc-hg
vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode vc-bzr vc-dispatcher tar-mode arc-mode
archive-mode jka-compr tramp-cmds tramp-cache time-stamp tramp-sh tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat rx shell
pcomplete comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring parse-time iso8601 time-date
format-spec auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs cl-loaddefs
cl-lib password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 134931 10283)
 (symbols 48 13252 0)
 (strings 32 47223 1850)
 (string-bytes 1 1527085)
 (vectors 16 25505)
 (vector-slots 8 335082 9416)
 (floats 8 123 55)
 (intervals 56 717 0)
 (buffers 976 23))