Subject: bug#66117: 30.0.50; `find-buffer-visiting' is slow when opening large number of buffers

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 19:15:08 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I must say I don't understand the reasoning behind this.
>> What would it do different from `case-fold-search`?
>
> It won't be buffer-local-if-changed, so binding it will not be costly.
> It also won't be a defcustom, so let-binding it will not step on the
> user's preferences.

In my mind, another benefit is that the new variable will not be
affected by buffer-local values - (let (case-fold-search-override value) ...)
will be guaranteed to use VALUE everywhere, even if current buffer is
changed. This will make the case I described in
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=66117#208 more predictable
(and, since it is a new variable, will not break any existing code).

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>