Subject: [bug#66099] [PATCH gnome-team v9 0/7] Update eudev, upower, udev-service-type, with /lib/udev/hardware

From: Vivien Kraus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 12:49:29 +0200

Dear guix,

I find it surprising that we should rename /lib/udev/hwdb.d to
/lib/udev/hardware, but the impact is minimal (udevadm on Guix for the
udev-service-type relies only on UDEV_HWDB_PATH, which can accept /hardware
easily), and you insist, so, let’s do that.

I changed the installation directories for the packages I found with a grep
'hwdb.d', but I may have let some slip through.

I removed the publication of /etc/udev/hwdb.d in the udev service, because
these files would have the highest priority, so a user could not override
them.  Since eudev is in the system profile, UDEV_HWDB_PATH is set with the
system profile hardware files anyway (not exactly all that compose
/etc/udev/hwdb.bin).

The VM works.

> > The hwdb.bin file used to be generated in <prefix>/etc/udev/hwdb.bin,
> > but since the sysconf dir is now directly /etc, the hwdb.bin index
> > will not be found under <prefix>/etc/udev/hwdb.bin.
> While we choose to do this via sysconfdir, the proper fix would be to read
> the path to the hwdb file from /etc/udev/udev.conf and fall back to
> $prefix/etc/udev/hwdb.bin if it's undefined.  That saves us some hacks.

Unfortunately, eudev does not support this I think.

Vivien Kraus (7):
  gnu: eudev: Update to 3.2.14.
  services: udev: Rewrite udev-rule to use file->udev-rule.
  services: udev: Make udev-rule helper functions generic.
  gnu: udev-service-type: accept hardware description file extensions.
  gnu: libgudev: Update to 238.
  gnu: upower: Update to 1.90.2.
  services: udev: Install hardware files in /lib/udev/hardware.

 doc/guix.texi                                 |  57 +++++++--
 gnu/packages/freedesktop.scm                  |   2 +-
 gnu/packages/gnome.scm                        |  43 ++++---
 gnu/packages/libusb.scm                       |   8 +-
 gnu/packages/linux.scm                        |  57 ++++++---
 .../patches/eudev-rules-directory.patch       |   9 +-
 gnu/packages/xdisorg.scm                      |   9 +-
 gnu/services/base.scm                         | 116 +++++++++++++-----
 8 files changed, 215 insertions(+), 86 deletions(-)

base-commit: b18b2d13488f2a92331ccad2dc8cbb54ee15582f
-- 
2.41.0