Subject: Re: bug#66093: Eglot over tramp sshfs/sftp

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 09:46:20 +0200

Ko Nishi <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,

Hi Ko,

> I was suggested to contact here from a github discussion
> https://github.com/joaotavora/eglot/discussions/1294.
> But in short, at the moment, eglot fails to spawn a functioning
> language server process over tramp when sshfs or sftp is used.
> For sshfs, I see clangd process without stty command on remote, while
> with sftp eglot doesn't find the path.

Tramp's sftp integration doesn't support remote processes. So there's no
chance to make it working.

sshfs, as general concept, doesn't allow remote processes either. Tramp
has added this functionality by opening a parallel ssh connection, see
tramp-sshfs.el for its configuration (the lines, where
tramp-sshfs-method is added to tramp-methods). However, it calls remote
commands directly via ssh, like this (according to Tramp traces):

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
ssh -q -e none -t -t gandalf cd /home/albinus/src/emacs/ && ( env INSIDE_EMACS\=30.0.50\,tramp\:2.7.0-pre ENV\=\'\' TMOUT\=0 LC_CTYPE\=\'\' CDPATH\= HISTORY\= MAIL\= MAILCHECK\= MAILPATH\= PAGER\=cat autocorrect\= correct\= /bin/sh -c stty\ raw\ \>\ /dev/null\;\ /usr/bin/clangd )
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I'm not sure, but likely the snippet "stty\ raw\ \>\ /dev/null\;\ /usr/bin/clangd"
might need another quoting.

> Best regards,
> Ko

Best regards, Michael.