Subject: Re: bug#66093: Eglot over tramp sshfs/sftp

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 18:59:19 +0200

Version: 29.2

Ko Nishi <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Micheal,

Hi Ko,

> It works pretty good on emac29.1! Thank you.

Thanks for the feedback. I've pushed the patch to the repositories,
slightly modified. It will appear with Emacs 29.2 as well as on GNU ELPA
later this week, as Tramp 2.6.1.3.

> The only thing it doesn't work is vc-root-dir on a current file.  Like
> within sshfs eshell, it returns properly, but according the
> interactive functions in my init.el that does work based on current
> file, it returns nil.

Yes. tramp-sshfs.el does not offer an implementation for
`vc-registered'. To be precise, it offers the function

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
    (vc-registered . ignore)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Therefore, all files are not under VC control. This won't change.

> Btw, indeed, you might be right about async option, but sshfs "might"
> performce nicely for go to definition for eglot sometimes, but it's
> just an impression, I could be totally wrong if I actually measure it.

Pls tell me if you see more optimization knobs to be implemented. ATM, I
believe we have done what's possible with this bug, so I'm closing it.

> Best regards,
> Ko

Best regards, Michael.