Subject: bug#66068: 30.0.50; xwidget-webkit-browse-url makes Emacs abort

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 10:55:39 +0100

On Mon, 11 Dec 2023 08:43:57 +0800 Po Lu <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> But again, xwidget-webkit-browse-url does work with -q -xrm
>> "emacs.synchronous: true" but only when running emacs under gdb.  So
>> if someone can figure out why and how, I'd think it must be possible
>> to get it to work when running emacs by itself.
>
> This is probably since synchronous mode causes responses to GTK's
> invalid requests to be processed in between an error trap installed by
> Emacs, likely the "silent" sort recorded by x_ignore_....  As this is
> possible solely when synchronous mode is in effect, and even then
> unreliable, there's no solution short of that or dismissing GLX errors
> completely.

Are you saying processing GTK's invalid requests is necessary to prevent
the crash and that only happens (can only happen?) when running Emacs
under GDB?  I don't understand why, but I don't mind if you don't want
to elaborate.

> But the latter will induce crashes when a web page attempts to run
> WebGL (and such circumstances will only proliferate as WebKitGTK
> development continues), and as such, the only long-term fix is a port to
> WPE.

Ok.

Steve Berman