Subject: bug#66068: 30.0.50; xwidget-webkit-browse-url makes Emacs abort

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 12:03:43 +0200

On Mon, 25 Sep 2023 12:22:19 +0200 Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Sep 2023 17:25:43 +0800 Po Lu <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> Now this is interesting: starting from within gdb with -q -xrm
>>> "emacs.synchronous: true", then doing M-x xwidget-webkit-browse-url,
>>> entering a URL and pressing RET now succeeds, i.e. the web page opens,
>>> no crash.  Same when starting from within gdb with just -xrm
>>> "emacs.synchronous: true", i.e., with my init file running in X
>>> synchronous mode: xwidget-webkit-browse-url does not make Emacs crash.
>>> However, then I start Emacs outside of gdb, i.e. directly from the shell
>>> with -xrm "emacs.synchronous: true", either with or without -q, and
>>> invoke xwidget-webkit-browse-url, then Emacs aborts as before (i.e. same
>>> as when not running in X synchronous mode).  I hope you can make sense
>>> of that.
>>
>> When Emacs aborts, it should print a stack trace.  Provided that your
>> system is configured correctly, a core file should also be generated.
>>
>> If either of these two are available, please attempt to derive a stack
>> trace from them; the procedure for the former case is illustrated within
>> (emacs)Crashing.
>
> I have both the stack trace and the core file.
>
> The stack trace is essentially the same as the one at the end of the
> backtrace I attached to my OP in this bug, see <[email-masked]>
> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2023-09/msg01905.html>.
> However, using the sed with addr2line as described in (emacs) Crashing
> only produces 41 lines like this: ?? ??:0.  Is this because my Emacs
> build is out-of-tree?
>
> I've attached the full backtrace produced by running gdb on the core
> file (though it starts with some warnings which may call its usefulness
> into doubt).

FWIW, I have updated webkitgtk from 2.41.92 to 2.42.1 and invoking
xwidget-webkit-browse-url still makes Emacs crash.  But with two other
GNU/Linux systems which have webkitgtk-2.40.1, xwidget-webkit-browse-url
invoked in Emacs built from the same commit on master works fine.

Steve Berman