Subject: bug#66068: 30.0.50; xwidget-webkit-browse-url makes Emacs abort

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 12:22:19 +0200

On Mon, 25 Sep 2023 17:25:43 +0800 Po Lu <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Now this is interesting: starting from within gdb with -q -xrm
>> "emacs.synchronous: true", then doing M-x xwidget-webkit-browse-url,
>> entering a URL and pressing RET now succeeds, i.e. the web page opens,
>> no crash.  Same when starting from within gdb with just -xrm
>> "emacs.synchronous: true", i.e., with my init file running in X
>> synchronous mode: xwidget-webkit-browse-url does not make Emacs crash.
>> However, then I start Emacs outside of gdb, i.e. directly from the shell
>> with -xrm "emacs.synchronous: true", either with or without -q, and
>> invoke xwidget-webkit-browse-url, then Emacs aborts as before (i.e. same
>> as when not running in X synchronous mode).  I hope you can make sense
>> of that.
>
> When Emacs aborts, it should print a stack trace.  Provided that your
> system is configured correctly, a core file should also be generated.
>
> If either of these two are available, please attempt to derive a stack
> trace from them; the procedure for the former case is illustrated within
> (emacs)Crashing.

I have both the stack trace and the core file.

The stack trace is essentially the same as the one at the end of the
backtrace I attached to my OP in this bug, see <[email-masked]>
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2023-09/msg01905.html>.
However, using the sed with addr2line as described in (emacs) Crashing
only produces 41 lines like this: ?? ??:0.  Is this because my Emacs
build is out-of-tree?

I've attached the full backtrace produced by running gdb on the core
file (though it starts with some warnings which may call its usefulness
into doubt).

Steve Berman