Subject: bug#66068: 30.0.50; xwidget-webkit-browse-url makes Emacs abort

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 17:25:43 +0800

Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> writes:

> Now this is interesting: starting from within gdb with -q -xrm
> "emacs.synchronous: true", then doing M-x xwidget-webkit-browse-url,
> entering a URL and pressing RET now succeeds, i.e. the web page opens,
> no crash.  Same when starting from within gdb with just -xrm
> "emacs.synchronous: true", i.e., with my init file running in X
> synchronous mode: xwidget-webkit-browse-url does not make Emacs crash.
> However, then I start Emacs outside of gdb, i.e. directly from the shell
> with -xrm "emacs.synchronous: true", either with or without -q, and
> invoke xwidget-webkit-browse-url, then Emacs aborts as before (i.e. same
> as when not running in X synchronous mode).  I hope you can make sense
> of that.

When Emacs aborts, it should print a stack trace.  Provided that your
system is configured correctly, a core file should also be generated.

If either of these two are available, please attempt to derive a stack
trace from them; the procedure for the former case is illustrated within
(emacs)Crashing.