Subject: Re: bug#66068: 30.0.50; xwidget-webkit-browse-url makes Emacs abort

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 10:47:35 +0200

On Mon, 25 Sep 2023 08:30:54 +0800 Po Lu <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> (Sorry for not responding sooner; I was travelling.)  I already posted a
>> backtrace produced from -Q -xrm "emacs.synchronous: true" in the message
>> I referred to above, see the attachment to <[email-masked]>
>> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2023-09/msg01928.html>.
>> Though as I pointed out in that message, the only apparent differences
>> from the first backtrace (produced from just -Q) are the specific
>> numerical values of addresses, struct members, etc.  Just to be sure I
>> just now repeated the asynchronous run again and got again a
>> structurally identical backtrace (i.e., differing only in address and
>> struct member numerical values).
>
> That backtrace is erroneous, as starting Emacs with -Q (in contrast to
> -q) causes all X resources to be ignored.

Oh, sorry, that was stupid of me.

>                                            Please start Emacs with -q
> instead.

Now this is interesting: starting from within gdb with -q -xrm
"emacs.synchronous: true", then doing M-x xwidget-webkit-browse-url,
entering a URL and pressing RET now succeeds, i.e. the web page opens,
no crash.  Same when starting from within gdb with just -xrm
"emacs.synchronous: true", i.e., with my init file running in X
synchronous mode: xwidget-webkit-browse-url does not make Emacs crash.
However, then I start Emacs outside of gdb, i.e. directly from the shell
with -xrm "emacs.synchronous: true", either with or without -q, and
invoke xwidget-webkit-browse-url, then Emacs aborts as before (i.e. same
as when not running in X synchronous mode).  I hope you can make sense
of that.

Steve Berman