Subject: bug#66068: 30.0.50; xwidget-webkit-browse-url makes Emacs abort

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 14:17:10 +0200

On Mon, 18 Sep 2023 14:28:03 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 12:06:37 +0200
>>
>> I just built Emacs --with-xwidgets on a new system (glibc-2.38,
>> gcc-13.2.0, linux-6.5.2) on which I've installed webkitgtk-2.41.92 for
>> both Gtk3 and Gtk4 (libwebkit2gtk-4.1.so and libwebkitgtk-6.0.so).  When
>> I invoke `M-x xwidget-webkit-browse-url', enter a URL at the prompt and
>> press RET, Emacs aborts.  I ran under gdb and have attached a full
>> backtrace.
>
> Thanks.  However, when Emacs aborts in x_error_quitter, the backtrace
> is usually not useful (due to asynchronous treatment of X errors).  So
> please run Emacs in X synchronous mode and post the backtrace from
> that session.  The file etc/DEBUG explains how to do this; search for
> "If you encounter X protocol errors" there.

In the shell, with cwd the src directory of the emacs build tree, I
entered `gdb ./emacs' and at the gdb prompt: r -Q -xrm
"emacs.synchronous: true".  In Emacs I invoked xwidget-webkit-browse-url
as above and gdb stopped execution.  I've again attached the output of
`bt full', though to my layman's eye it looks, modulo addresses,
essentially identical to the backtrace I with `r -Q'.  I can try some of
the other suggestions given in etc/DEBUG, though I really don't know
what I'm doing so would welcome more targeted suggestions, if possible.

Steve Berman