Subject: bug#66068: removing the WebKit when webkit2gtk3-2.42.5-1.el9.x86_64 will not alllow RL9 to configure

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2024 08:05:44 +0300

> From: Doug Maxey <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2024 16:45:06 -0500
> 
> With today's tree emacs-30.0.91-54-gc1f2501f, I cannot find a
> combination that allows building the X version, either Lucid or GTK3.
> 
> The installed version of webkit is webkit2gtk3-2.42.5-1.el9.x86_64.
> 
> I even turned off cairo and xwidgets with 
> --without-cairo
> --without-xwidgets
> 
> but no joy on make bootstrap.
> ---
> $ make bootstrap
> ...
> checking for cairo >= 1.8.0... yes
> checking for cairo-xcb >= 1.8.0... yes
> checking for webkit2gtk-4.1 >= 2.12 webkit2gtk-4.1 < 2.41.92... no
> checking for webkit2gtk-4.0 >= 2.12 webkit2gtk-4.0 < 2.41.92... no
> configure: error: xwidgets requested but WebKitGTK+ or WebKit framework
> not found.
> make: *** [Makefile:586: config.status] Error 1
> ---

Please post the config.log file obtained by running the configure
script after the following commands:

 $ make extraclean
 $ git clean -fdx
 $ git pull
 $ ./autogen.sh
 $ ./configure [...]

where [...] are your usual configure options, but without anything
related to xwidgets (and please show the exact configure options you
use, as your report above doesn't).

The xwidgets option is off by default, so if you reconfigure Emacs
correctly, you should have a build without them (since your webkit2gtk
version is not one of those which can be safely used with Emacs).  The
output of the configure script above seems to indicate that somehow
the configure script was invoked with "--with-xwidgets" option,
because otherwise the "checking for webkit2gtk-4.1" part was not
supposed to have been done.  E.g., on my GNU/Linux system, invoking
the configure script without "--with-xwidgets" option goes straight
from cairo to freetype2 testing, bypassing the webkit2gtk-4.0 test:

  checking for cairo >= 1.8.0... yes
  checking for freetype2... yes
  checking for fontconfig >= 2.2.0... yes

So something in your case is still telling the configure script to
build with xwidgets.  "make bootstrap" re-runs the configure script
with the same options you used last time, so doing that will not
necessarily fix the problem.