Subject: bug#66068: closed (Re: bug#66068: 30.0.50; xwidget-webkit-browse-url makes Emacs abort)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2024 09:03:03 +0000

Your bug report

#66068: 30.0.50; xwidget-webkit-browse-url makes Emacs abort

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
66068: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=66068
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#66068: 30.0.50; xwidget-webkit-browse-url makes Emacs abort
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2024 12:01:36 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2024 20:11:51 +0800
> 
> IMHO if recent WebKitGTK releases are to be rejected, xwidgets should
> also be disabled on Mac OS, till they are available on up-to-date free
> systems again.  But I have no objections to this patch, strictly
> speaking.

OK, so I installed this on the emacs-30 branch, and I'm therefore
closing this bug.

Subject: 30.0.50; xwidget-webkit-browse-url makes Emacs abort
From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 12:06:37 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I just built Emacs --with-xwidgets on a new system (glibc-2.38,
gcc-13.2.0, linux-6.5.2) on which I've installed webkitgtk-2.41.92 for
both Gtk3 and Gtk4 (libwebkit2gtk-4.1.so and libwebkitgtk-6.0.so).  When
I invoke `M-x xwidget-webkit-browse-url', enter a URL at the prompt and
press RET, Emacs aborts.  I ran under gdb and have attached a full
backtrace.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.38, cairo version 1.17.6) of 2023-09-18 built on strobelfs2
Repository revision: b331bf6d8a21ef3ac7e70d3f4a937e4256178d55
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101008
System Description: Linux From Scratch r12.0-19

Configured using:
 'configure -C --with-xwidgets 'CFLAGS=-Og -g3'
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/qt5/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM
XINPUT2 XPM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix