Subject: bug#66059: closed (Re: bug#66059: [cuirass] [feature] Mention which builder machine was used)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 08:23:02 +0000

Your bug report

#66059: [cuirass] [feature] Mention which builder machine was used

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
66059: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=66059
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#66059: [cuirass] [feature] Mention which builder machine was used
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 10:21:43 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Maxim,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> skribis:

> When investigating a build failure, it can be useful to see the logs of
> the machine that built the package (to determine whether it ran out of
> memory, say), but currently the build logs or even the derivation page
> on Cuirass doesn't track such information: it's not visible in the web
> interface and not mentioned either in the build log.

Fixed, on the build page (we can’t really do that on the build log):

  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-cuirass.git/commit/?id=be79b1e4067a029dbe84d88dc6731a8a2a70db32

It was easy to do because Cuirass already keeps track of that.

However, Cuirass keeps track of the “worker” that was used, not the
machine.  A “worker” is essentially a fiber in the ‘cuirass
remote-worker’ process, with a temporary random name; when the worker
goes away, we become unable to map it back to the machine it belonged to
(I think).  Which means we’ll lose that info eventually.

(Now the whole point of normalized build environments is that knowing
which machine was used should rarely matter.)

Thanks,
Ludo’.

Subject: [cuirass] [feature] Mention which builder machine was used
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: bug-guix <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 15:17:09 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

When investigating a build failure, it can be useful to see the logs of
the machine that built the package (to determine whether it ran out of
memory, say), but currently the build logs or even the derivation page
on Cuirass doesn't track such information: it's not visible in the web
interface and not mentioned either in the build log.

We should add it to both places, ideally.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim