Subject: bug#66050: Making perl-mode.el obsolete

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 03:41:02 -0700

Harald Jörg <[email-masked]> writes:

> But I think that making cperl-mode.el acceptable for users of
> perl-mode.el is doable and might be worth the one-time effort.

Great!  It sounds like a plan, then.

> I intend to continue maintaining cperl-mode.el, though I've been a bit
> distracted this year.

BTW, feel free to mark yourself as a maintainer in the cperl-mode.el
header.  I think it'd be useful to provide clarity on the fact that it
is, in fact, actively maintained.

>> - cperl-mode.el used to be maintained outside of Emacs, but this is no
>>   longer the case.  All relevant development has been merged into and
>>   takes place in emacs.git.
>
> In my opinion, this makes sense.  Several Emacs developers have
> continually worked on cperl-mode.el to care for obsoletions or
> modernizations.  I don't think a place outside of emacs.git could
> provide this.

Fully agreed.