Subject: bug#66050: Making perl-mode.el obsolete

From: Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 17:14:43 -0300

On 21/9/23 11:20, Stefan Monnier wrote:
 >> What would be a good way of collecting this information?
 >
 > I'd say: use `cperl-mode` and report regressions compared to what
 > `perl-mode` used to do via `M-x report-emacs-bug`.
 >

OK, I'll do that.  But Someone will have to keep track of the bug
reports that need to be handled before calling perl-mode obsolete.

 >> 2. While I'm typing the above string, I get messages about string/RE not
 >> found:
 >> End of ‘q( ... )’ string/RE not found: (scan-error Unbalanced 
parentheses
 >> 1092 1874)
 >> End of ‘q( ... )’ string/RE not found: (scan-error Unbalanced 
parentheses
 >> 1092 1918) [2 times]
 >> End of ‘q( ... )’ string/RE not found: (scan-error Unbalanced 
parentheses
 >> 1092 1962) [2 times]
 >> That's annoying.
 > Sounds like a bug, eh?

I think so.  I had some time to look into the archived bugs and found
this: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=37127

I don't have time right now to read and understand the whole
conversation, but I think it's related to what I see.