Subject: Re: bug#66050: Making perl-mode.el obsolete

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 05:02:42 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > How about this basic plan:

  > First, we make perl-mode.el obsolete on master.

It seems to me that that should be the last step in the plan -- IF we
succeed in making CPerl mode satisfactory for those users (assuming
there still are a significa t number) who prefer Perl mode.

If the plan is to make sure that CPerl satisfies them, we shouldn't
pressure them through hasty degrading of its status.

Also, shouldn't we discuss this on emacs-devel?  It is an
important enough design decision, and NOT a bug fix.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)