Subject: bug#66041: 30.0.50; Should 'flymake-note-echo' inherit from 'compilation-info'?

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 13:55:19 -0700

On 9/25/2023 11:23 AM, João Távora wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 25, 2023 at 6:24 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>> So if we want
>> to implement something like this in the display engine, we'd need to
>> extend the format of the 'display' property in this case, adding some
>> kind of "priority" there, or maybe extend the fringe bitmap data
>> itself.
> 
> I think either is acceptable, though the former is slightly better
> as it allows one to use the same bitmap data in many priorities.

This may or may not be helpful, but back in commit b87400c78b04, I added 
the ability to specify the particular bitmap to use for a fringe icon. 
For example, you can set 'bookmark-fringe-mark' to any known fringe 
bitmap, and then you'll see that bitmap in the fringe for your 
bookmarks. In essence, this lets you split the semantic meaning for a 
fringe marker ("this marker means there's a bookmark here") from the 
actual bitmap data ("what it looks like").

There's probably room to expand this convention from bookmarks to other 
parts of Emacs, and maybe Flymake could benefit from it.