Subject: Re: bug#66041: 30.0.50; Should 'flymake-note-echo' inherit from 'compilation-info'?

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 14:52:07 +0100

On Mon, Sep 25, 2023 at 1:50 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > Obviously, because any other character which is not space
> > will _also_ fix the trailing whitespace diagnostic issued by the
> > checkdoc backend. By definition :-)
>
> OK, let's back up a notch, because I think I've misunderstood you.

Basically, both your suggestions effectively amounted to deleting the
second overlay.  It would indeed solve the problem but only by
destroying the use case.

> the overlay that wins is always the last one.
> Does this explain what happens?

Yes, it does.  Although I would expect that when two overlays
that compete for the same resource (in this case, the
same  portion of the left fringe) the overlay with the highest
priority would win that competition -- not the "last one".

Since I can't change the start and end positions of the overlays,
(because they do quite a bit more than specify a 'before-string
property), I can't choose which overlay is the "last one".  So I
guess this bug is very hard to solve until the "last one wins"
behaviour your describe is changed.

João