Subject: Re: bug#66041: 30.0.50; Should 'flymake-note-echo' inherit from 'compilation-info'?

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 12:46:35 +0100

On Mon, Sep 25, 2023 at 11:32 AM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Add some character after the SPC, even a newline, and the display will
> be as you expect.

I think that's only because this newline will, by default, delete the SPC
character and thus resolve the diagnostic from checkdoc, deleting the
overlay.

But there are very many ways in which a lower priority diagnostic
may appear later in the same line as a higher priority one, and
I think this will trigger the problem.

> Do we care about the corner case of the last character before EOB?

If it were that, I'd say "no, we don't", but it doesn't seem
like it is.

I think we should care _somewhat_ about this recipe, which represents
the aforementioned use case, a case I don't think is particularly
contrived:

emacs -Q -f flymake-mode
M-x erase-buffer RET y
C-o
h e l l o SPC

João