Subject: Re: bug#66041: 30.0.50; Should 'flymake-note-echo' inherit from 'compilation-info'?

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 19:49:21 +0100

On Mon, Sep 18, 2023 at 6:44 PM Jim Porter <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> On 9/18/2023 5:52 AM, João Távora wrote:
> > Yes, something like that.  Skimming the code, I think I meant for only
> > one overlay, not two, to be the end-of-line overlay containing the two
> > strings.  But this was tricky to implement and I probably missed an
> > edge case.  There is a FIXME there, have to investigate.
> >
> > Anyway, since I have your interest, any suggestions on how you would
> > implement this? Knowing that this feature is upposed to display
> > multiple pieces of relatively short cursor-unreachable text visually
> > after the end -of-line (the text being the diagnostic text, naturally).
>
> For what it's worth, I think it would be nice to have a single overlay,
> showing only the highest-severity message, and if there are more, add a
> "(+ N more)" suffix. Then, assuming it's possible to implement, you
> could click/hover over it to get a popup of some sort with all the
> messages. That way you can't overload the UI with many messages (which
> in practice might all be from the same underlying problem in your code).

That's possible to implement.

But the single/multiple overlay decision is just an implementation detail
Currently Flymake uses one "end of line" overlay only, but here the logic
o control that uniqueness failed, so an extra unintended overlay was
created, and that created problems with cursor placement.

But your suggestion is noted, though.

João