Subject: Re: bug#66041: 30.0.50; Should 'flymake-note-echo' inherit from 'compilation-info'?

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 22:22:06 +0100

Hello Jim,

On Sun, Sep 17, 2023 at 5:42 AM Jim Porter <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Personally, I think it'd be better for the "echo" faces for Flymake
> notes to just inherit from 'compilation-info'. They have almost
> identical uses as far as I can tell, and then things would look more

To better understand what you mean, can you post two screenshots -- with
and without your proposed change -- of what the default theme would look
like in a simple file with some Flymake overlays?

Also, a patch showing exactly the change you propose would be useful.  And
keep in mind one can define a face to inherit from two faces (AFAIK).

> consistent/readable. (In fact, we could even rename flymake-note to
> flymake-info, but maybe that ship has sailed.)

We could rename and add a backward compatibility alias.  But lets first
establish if that makes sense: "note" comes from the GCC nomenclature
for informational messages.  Also I'm not 100% "note" wasn't already
used in Flymake before i rewrote it.

João