Subject: bug#66040: 30.0.50; The XF86AudioLowerVolume on keyboard cannot be detected correctly

From: "Wang, Zhenhua (MU-Student)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 08:12:03 +0000

> Set x-quit-keysym to nil in your early-init.el, then restart Emacs.
> This feature (reinterpreting volume-down keys as quit) was introduced in
> Emacs 30 to support computers without physical input devices capable of
> typing `C-g'.

Thank you, this does solve the problem.

> Incidentally, what keyboard are you using?

> Such keys are fairly common on standard keyboards, or at least used to
> be.  There is usually an extra "function key row" with a "volume down"
> key that generates XF86AudioLowerVolume.  I have one of those keyboards
> lying around.

In my case, it's the keyboard on my laptop, and these multimedia keys are quite common for laptop keyboards.
________________________________
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2023 2:52 AM
To: Po Lu <[email-masked]>; Wang, Zhenhua (MU-Student) <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: bug#66040: 30.0.50; The XF86AudioLowerVolume on keyboard cannot be detected correctly

WARNING: This message has originated from an External Source. This may be a phishing expedition that can result in unauthorized access to our IT System. Please use proper judgment and caution when opening attachments, clicking links, or responding to this email.

Po Lu via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text
editors" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Set x-quit-keysym to nil in your early-init.el, then restart Emacs.
> This feature (reinterpreting volume-down keys as quit) was introduced in
> Emacs 30 to support computers without physical input devices capable of
> typing `C-g'.

That refers to Android phones, right?

> Incidentally, what keyboard are you using?  XF86AudioLowerVolume is not
> generated by any I own, and x-quit-keysym is intended to only apply to
> volume rocker buttons on mobile phones and their ilk.

Such keys are fairly common on standard keyboards, or at least used to
be.  There is usually an extra "function key row" with a "volume down"
key that generates XF86AudioLowerVolume.  I have one of those keyboards
lying around.

Is there a way to support this on mobile phones without this key
breaking on machines with regular keyboards?