Subject: Re: bug#66022: 30.0.50; kmacro overwriting global keybindings

From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 17:25:20 +0200

On 23-09-18 17:18 , Gerd Möllmann wrote:
> On 23-09-18 17:09 , Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]> Cc:
>>> [email-masked],  [email-masked] Date: Mon, 18 Sep
>>> 2023 16:56:55 +0200
>>>
>>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>
>>>> Any idea why a call to 'documentation' loads loaddefs?  Did you
>>>> indeed "hack the Emacs you were running"?
>>>
>>> No idea, and I didn't hack it at all.  This was a minute after I
>>> started a newly-build Emacs, wondered why a C-c C-k binding didn't
>>> work.  I then pressed C-c alone to see what it is bound to, with
>>> which-key.
>>
>> So I think this now becomes the main question.  If this is not a
>> bug, i.e. if loaddefs can legitimately be loaded mid-session, we
>> cannot autoload key bindings, at least not naïvely as we do now.
> 
> Another observation: when I start emacs from its source directory
> master/src, and not as bundle, i.e. by® clicking on Emacs.app in the
> dock, this doesn't happen.
> 
> One difference in the two scenarios is that Emacs.app contains gzip'd el
> files.

~/emacs/master/ > ls -l 
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/loaddefs.el*
-rw-r--r--  1 gerd  admin   377687 Sep 17 16:36 
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/loaddefs.el.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 gerd  admin  1467107 Sep 17 16:38 
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resource

Note the timestamps.  Is that good or bad?