Subject: bug#66022: 30.0.50; kmacro overwriting global keybindings

From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 17:18:36 +0200

On 23-09-18 17:09 , Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]> Cc:
>> [email-masked],  [email-masked] Date: Mon, 18 Sep
>> 2023 16:56:55 +0200
>> 
>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>>> Any idea why a call to 'documentation' loads loaddefs?  Did you
>>> indeed "hack the Emacs you were running"?
>> 
>> No idea, and I didn't hack it at all.  This was a minute after I
>> started a newly-build Emacs, wondered why a C-c C-k binding didn't
>> work.  I then pressed C-c alone to see what it is bound to, with
>> which-key.
> 
> So I think this now becomes the main question.  If this is not a
> bug, i.e. if loaddefs can legitimately be loaded mid-session, we
> cannot autoload key bindings, at least not naïvely as we do now.

Another observation: when I start emacs from its source directory
master/src, and not as bundle, i.e. by® clicking on Emacs.app in the
dock, this doesn't happen.

One difference in the two scenarios is that Emacs.app contains gzip'd el
files.