Subject: Re: bug#66022: 30.0.50; kmacro overwriting global keybindings

From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 20:05:25 +0100

On Wed, Sep 20, 2023 at 12:56:22PM -0400, Stefan Monnier via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors wrote:
> >> Any idea which place in the Makefile's or in loadup.el does that?
> >
> > I think nextstep/Makefile.in contains
> >
> > # FIXME: Don't install the dump file into the app bundle when
> > # self-contained install is disabled.
> > ${ns_applibexecdir}/Emacs.pdmp: ${ns_appdir} ${ns_check_file}
> > ../src/emacs${EXEEXT}.pdmp
> > 	${MKDIR_P} ${ns_applibexecdir}
> > 	cp -f ../src/emacs${EXEEXT}.pdmp $@
> >
> > and the "all" target has that the pdmp as a dependency.
> 
> Sounds like a bug, yes: either the same thing should be done for all the
> files in ${ns_applibexecdir} or it should be done for none.
> 
> This said, I'm, 100% unfamiliar with the way the `Emacs.app` directory
> is built, so maybe this is a feature rather than a bug.

I think it's probably a bug. IIRC the Emacs executable in the
Emacs.app directory is updated when you do a "make", and the above
code runs at the same time, otherwise you end up with an inconsistent
.app.

Clearly you get an inconsistent .app anyway.

I don't know why it works that way, I was never able to fully
understand how Emacs.app is built, and I guess someone either thought
it was a good idea or made a mistake.

-- 
Alan Third