Subject: Re: bug#6602: [PATCH] make dist target for Windows

From: Christoph <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 20:04:57 -0600

On 7/24/2010 7:01 PM, Juanma Barranquero wrote:

> I noticed, but it was always possible to make a branch emacs-VERSION
> and build the dist from here.
> I suppose this change is for better, but it makes more difficult to
> create a dist with a root directory named other than emacs-VERSION
> (for my own use, for example, I call them just VERSION, ie., 23.1,
> 23.2, 24.0.50, etc.). It'd be nice to have a way to customize this,
> but don't lose time over it; "unzip&  rename dir" is just a command
> away :-)

True. I didn't think of that. This is just the most common use case, I 
guess. My main intention behind this was to provide an easy and 
consistent way of producing snapshot and release distributions. 
Theoretically, you can edit the value of TMP_DIST_DIR in the Makefile to 
change the directory, too.

> It is highly unlikely for the user to have a directory
> nt/emacs-VERSION, but you overwrite it and then remove it, so it'd be
> nice to check and refuse to do anything if it already exists.

Actually, the mkdir command fails and the process stops with an error, 
if the directory already exists. I tested this before I added the 
DEL_TREE command.

>> There is also a minor bugfix: README.W32 was not copied to the install
>> directory when using `make install'.
>
> In fact, there's still a minor issue: README.W32 gets copied to
> INSTALL_DIR and not removed. For example, I do all installations
> in-place, and after make dist I end with a README.W32 at the root of
> my trunk branch. (I've added exclusions to .(bzr|git)ignore, so it's
> not much of an issue, but still...).

Perhaps it should be added to `distclean'?

Christoph