Subject: bug#65998: Sqlite-mode issue deleting records and closing database

From: Thomas Hilke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 09:02:49 +0000

Hi everyone,

I had the opportunity of using sqlite-mode recently, which is really
handy for quickly inspecting the content of a database. However, I
noticed two issues when using it from Windows:

- The sql query built by sqlite-mode-delete is syntactically correct,
  but misinterpreted by sqlite, and eventually do nothing. The query
  is of the form "REMOVE FROM table_name WHERE rowid = ? and
  'column_name_1' = ? and 'column_name_2' = ? and ..."  From
  https://www.sqlite.org/lang_keywords.html, if I understand
  correctly, the quoted column names in the WHERE clause are
  interpreted as strings from sqlite, and as a result not a single row
  is ever matched and deleted.

- The connection to the sqlite database (file) is never closed, even
  when the buffer is killed. As sqlite--db is a local variable,
  it's not even possible to close the connection by hand once the
  buffer is killed. That means that once a database file is opened
  with sqlite-mode-open-file, the file cannot be deleted unless
  emacs is closed (on Windows).

Attached are the modifications that makes it work for me. I didn't have
the opportunity to test it under linux or another environment.

I did not want to touch the other parts that were already working, but
note that sqlite support a collection of pragma statements that can be
used to inspect the schema of the database in a more structured way
than parsing the content of the sqlite_master table:
https://www.sqlite.org/lang_keywords.html.

I hope it helps, and thanks for all the great work!

Thomas Hilke