Subject: Re: bug#65993: 29.1; emoji-insert show nothing without font settings

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 18:36:33 +0300

merge 65993 65138
thanks

> From: [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 21:06:18 +0900
> 
> 
> Without font settings, almost all emojis are not displayed within emacs,
> and emoji-insert does not show any leaf menu items.
> For example, typing 'C-x 8 e e s s' (Emoji > Smileys > smiling)
> emacs shows empty minibuffer(no string shown).
> 
> In such situation I can not understand what is going on.
> Empty menu should show some information or raise an error.

This is a duplicate of bug#65138, for which we don't yet have a
solution.  Patches welcome.

> And once emoji-insert is called before font setting,
> emoji-insert does not show emoji items after they are made visible in
> emacs buffer with font settings.

This is not a bug: you need to clear the font cache to get Emacs to
react to newly-installed fonts without restarting Emacs.  Like this:

  M-: (clear-font-cache) RET

> Here is a sample setting to display emojis:
>   (set-fontset-font nil '(#x1f000 . #x1faff) "Segoe UI Emoji")

Segoe UI Emoji is not a free font, so we cannot advertise it in Emacs.
You could tell Emacs about any fonts you have that support Emoji by
using the function w32-find-non-USB-fonts, see its doc string for
details.

In addition, Emacs 29 comes pre-configured to use the Noto Emoji font
on MS-Windows for showing Emoji, but you need to install that font
first.