Subject: 29.1; emoji-insert show nothing without font settings

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 21:06:18 +0900

Without font settings, almost all emojis are not displayed within emacs,
and emoji-insert does not show any leaf menu items.
For example, typing 'C-x 8 e e s s' (Emoji > Smileys > smiling)
emacs shows empty minibuffer(no string shown).

In such situation I can not understand what is going on.
Empty menu should show some information or raise an error.

And once emoji-insert is called before font setting,
emoji-insert does not show emoji items after they are made visible in
emacs buffer with font settings.

Here is a sample setting to display emojis:
  (set-fontset-font nil '(#x1f000 . #x1faff) "Segoe UI Emoji")
Without font settings, characters in the range are displayed with
  'Segoe UI Symbol'
    1F000..1F003, 1F005..1F02B, 1F030..1F093
  'ＭＳ ゴシック'(MS Gothic)
    1F200..1F202, 1F210..1F23A, 1F240..1F248, 1F250..1F251
  hex numbers
    other characters

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2023-08-02 built on
 AVALON
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19045
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2009.19045.3448)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --without-dbus --with-native-compilation=aot
 --without-compress-install --with-tree-sitter CFLAGS=-O2'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XPM ZLIB

(NATIVE_COMP present but libgccjit not available)

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: JPN
  locale-coding-system: cp932

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  highlight-changes-visible-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(gnutls network-stream nsm mailalias smtpmail textsec uni-scripts url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs json map url-vars idna-mapping ucs-normalize
uni-confusable textsec-check cl-print byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
debug backtrace find-func hilit-chg wid-edit thingatpt help-fns
radix-tree help-mode pp shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap
yank-media puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache
epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util text-property-search
time-date subr-x mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils term/bobcat japan-util
rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table
term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 229737 11617)
 (symbols 48 8112 3)
 (strings 32 40380 2121)
 (string-bytes 1 1018919)
 (vectors 16 40562)
 (vector-slots 8 811973 35006)
 (floats 8 49 287)
 (intervals 56 776 0)
 (buffers 984 15))