Subject: Re: bug#65980: 30.0.50; C-e behaves surprisingly in minibuffer

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 14:02:35 +0200

On Sat, 16 Sep 2023 10:56:27 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 14:35:50 +0200
>>
>> > Your patch changes one of the subroutines of next-line and
>> > previous-line. Those by now became very complex creatures, and handle
>> > many different cases of vertical cursor motion (with and without
>> > visual-line-mode, with and without line truncation, with and without
>> > R2L text, etc.)  So I hesitate to even consider it for this obscure use
>> > case.  I'd be much happier if the change was in move-beginning-of-line
>> > and move-end-of-line instead, so that it wouldn't have any chance of
>> > affecting other commands.  Could you try to come up with such a change
>> > instead?
>>
>> Sure.  I think the easiest way is simply to take your observation about
>> inhibit-field-text-motion and confine it to the minibuffer:
>
> Thanks, please install your first patch on the emacs-29 branch.

Done in commit 33ff4fed03d and closing the bug.  Thanks.

Steve Berman