Subject: Re: 24.0.50; tooltip doc

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 02:08:37 +0200

"Drew Adams" <[email-masked]> writes:

> The tooltip doc is not so great.
>
> Node Tooltips of the Emacs manual says nothing about tooltip mode being
> enabled by default.  And it says nothing about option
> `tooltip-use-echo-area'.
>
> More generally, it nowhere explains clearly what the recommended way of
> moving help to the echo area is (i.e. not using tooltips).  There is an
> option, `tooltip-use-echo-area', whose doc tells you that if you want
> help to appear in the echo area then you should customize this to
> non-nil and enable tooltip mode.

It says (now):

  You can toggle display of help tooltips (Tooltip mode) with the
command @kbd{M-x tooltip-mode}.  When Tooltip mode is disabled, the
help text is displayed in the echo area instead.

Which I think is clear enough.

> This is not clear to me.  Either there is a design flaw - perhaps
> `tooltip-use-echo-area' should be removed, or more likely something is
> simply missing from the doc.  Please explain - make this topic clear to
> users.

I think `tooltip-use-echo-area' should be obsoleted -- as you point out,
it seems nonsensical.

Does anybody know why `tooltip-use-echo-area' exists?  Hysterical
raisins?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/