Subject: Re: bug#65924: git searches coreutils and util-linux commands in PATH

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 08:12:41 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, 14 Sept 2023 at 05:14, Maxim Cournoyer
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> > $ guix size git-minimal
> > [...]
> > total: 147.8 MiB
> >
> > $ guix size git-minimal util-linux coreutils
> > [...]
> > total: 195.4 MiB
> >
> > It increases the size by 33% which is not nothing. :-)

[...]

> > The question could be: is worth to add 33% for these commands?

[...]

> References are also found in bin/git in your search, which suggests
> perhaps the size of git-minimal is a "lie" (the core package is not
> fully functional).

Only coreutils is about 165.1 MiB so 12% which is better than 33% but
not nothing either; especially if git-mininal becomes an hard
dependency of Guix (as proposed in e.g. patch##65866 [1]).

Another fix could be that git-minimal does not provide the "git
submodule" subcommand for example; or other ones.  I have not
considered that yet and I am not plainly proposing that; somehow I
would like to avoid to have a git-minimal that would not be really
"minimal" for features that are not minimalist :-)

Cheers,
simon

1: [bug#65866] [PATCH 0/8] Add built-in builder for Git checkouts
Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Mon, 11 Sep 2023 16:23:42 +0200
id:[email-masked]
https://issues.guix.gnu.org//65866
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/msgid/[email-masked]
https://yhetil.org/guix/[email-masked]