Subject: bug#65921: closed (Re: bug#65921: 30.0.50; Warnings from "make -C java bootstrap-clean")

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 00:19:01 +0000

Your bug report

#65921: 30.0.50; Warnings from "make -C java bootstrap-clean"

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
65921: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=65921
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#65921: 30.0.50; Warnings from "make -C java bootstrap-clean"
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 17:18:24 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Po Lu <[email-masked]> writes:

> What version of GNU make have you installed?  It appears this make
> doesn't provide for group targets.

Apparently, I was using some old version shipped with macOS:

    $ make --version
    GNU Make 3.81
    Copyright (C) 2006  Free Software Foundation, Inc.

The warnings went away once I made sure I used 4.4.1.

Thanks for the pointer.

Subject: 30.0.50; Warnings from "make -C java bootstrap-clean"
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 09:12:02 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Severity: minor

I'm seeing the below warnings every time I run "make bootstrap", and
compilation-mode naturally flags it.

Is it related to merging the Android port?

/usr/bin/make -C java bootstrap-clean
Makefile:157: warning: overriding commands for target `&'
Makefile:151: warning: ignoring old commands for target `&'
Makefile:168: warning: overriding commands for target `&'
Makefile:157: warning: ignoring old commands for target `&'
Makefile:296: warning: overriding commands for target `&'
Makefile:168: warning: ignoring old commands for target `&'