Subject: 29.1; build without xinput does not get focused when hovering over window

From: Ivan Popovych <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 12:56:17 +0300

Steps to reproduce:
 Build Emacs 29 with configure flags as below
 $ echo "exec emacs -Q" > ~/.xinitrc
 $ startx
 Cursor is hollow when starting Emacs and hovering over or clicking in window
 Clicking menu bar item fixes the cursor.
 Building with `--without-xinput` fixes the issue.

Originally reported as EXWM bug in
https://github.com/ch11ng/exwm/issues/924 but this can be reproduced
even without EXWM

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
version 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars)
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101008
System Description: NixOS 23.11 (Tapir)

Configured using:
 'configure
 --prefix=/nix/store/81g0rphgaisjz1kf6mfdlqv9m69kjfkf-emacs-29.1
 --disable-build-details --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-xft --with-cairo --with-native-compilation --with-tree-sitter
 --with-xinput2'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM
LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: /nix/store/f6rpc2qbrsn02vzyybqrhybl4n3zfdc0-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp:
  value of $EMACSNATIVELOADPATH: /nix/store/f6rpc2qbrsn02vzyybqrhybl4n3zfdc0-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/native-lisp:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/nix/store/f6rpc2qbrsn02vzyybqrhybl4n3zfdc0-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/let-alist-1.0.6/let-alist hides /nix/store/81g0rphgaisjz1kf6mfdlqv9m69kjfkf-emacs-29.1/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/emacs-lisp/let-alist

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
comp comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-extra
help-mode bytecomp byte-compile cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 78420 8285)
 (symbols 48 7140 0)
 (strings 32 20459 2047)
 (string-bytes 1 634737)
 (vectors 16 16614)
 (vector-slots 8 334479 10269)
 (floats 8 46 40)
 (intervals 56 255 0)
 (buffers 984 11))