Subject: bug#65915: 29.1.50; Should command arguments read with `read-passwd' end up in command-history?

From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 22:47:16 +1200

I just used `repeat-complex-command', meaning to search for an earlier
command, and was slightly startled when the minibuffer presented me with
with a form which displayed in plain text a password that I'd entered in
the most-recent command I'd used.

E.g.:

(defun foo (passwd)
   (interactive (list (read-passwd "Password: "))))

M-x foo RET hello RET ;; `read-passwd' obfuscates the entry of "hello".

C-x M-:
=> (foo "hello") ;; plainly visible; no obfuscation

command-history
=> ((foo "hello") (execute-extended-command nil "foo" "foo"))

I'm inclined to think that, by default, the use of `read-passwd' in an
interactive spec should inhibit the addition of that command to the
`command-history' list.

-Phil

In GNU Emacs 29.1.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
  version 1.16.0, Xaw scroll bars) of 2023-08-07 built on phil-lp
Repository revision: 735f3700f6510608415fd647dc28c0332c11d011
Repository branch: HEAD
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 
11.0.12101004
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS

Configured using:
  'configure --prefix=/home/phil/emacs/29.x.nc/usr/local
  --with-native-compilation=aot --with-x-toolkit=lucid --without-sound
  '--program-transform-name=s/^ctags$/ctags_emacs/''

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG
RSVG SECCOMP SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP
X11 XDBE XIM XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_MONETARY: en_NZ.UTF-8
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_NZ.UTF-8
   value of $LC_TIME: en_NZ.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date cl-loaddefs
comp comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-extra
help-mode bytecomp byte-compile cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
x multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 77555 14621)
  (symbols 48 7144 0)
  (strings 32 20242 1830)
  (string-bytes 1 598085)
  (vectors 16 14517)
  (vector-slots 8 263763 18157)
  (floats 8 29 49)
  (intervals 56 332 2)
  (buffers 984 12))