Subject: Exclude current buffer from eww-switch-to-buffer

From: James Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 16:15:03 +0530

Tags: patch, notabug

This patch excludes the current buffer from the completion list of the
above command. The main motivation is avoiding one cycling keystroke in
icomplete.

For eg. a use-case of cycling visits between the last 3 visited eww
buffers:
Currently (to visit each buffer in succession), after pressing s, one
would have to cycle thrice in icomplete before pressing C-j. With this
patch, it would only need to be done twice (a mnemonic to remember the
number of times to cycle could be 'the last 2 *other* buffers' rather
than 'the last 3 buffers' it is currently).

Moreover, if you remember that the target eww buffer was the last n-th
buffer you opened, you may now simply cycle n times. Eg. n is 1 for the
previous buffer.

* lisp/net/eww.el (eww-switch-to-buffer):

diff --git a/lisp/net/eww.el b/lisp/net/eww.el
index 4ddda216afc..e43ef2bfe8b 100644
--- a/lisp/net/eww.el
+++ b/lisp/net/eww.el
@@ -2062,7 +2062,8 @@ eww-switch-to-buffer
   (let ((completion-extra-properties
          '(:annotation-function (lambda (buf)
                                   (with-current-buffer buf
-                                    (format " %s" (eww-current-url)))))))
+                                    (format " %s" (eww-current-url))))))
+        (curbuf (current-buffer)))
     (pop-to-buffer-same-window
      (read-buffer "Switch to EWW buffer: "
                   (cl-loop for buf in (nreverse (buffer-list))
@@ -2070,9 +2071,10 @@ eww-switch-to-buffer
                            return buf)
                   t
                   (lambda (bufn)
-                    (with-current-buffer
-                        (if (consp bufn) (cdr bufn) (get-buffer bufn))
-                      (derived-mode-p 'eww-mode)))))))
+                    (setq bufn (if (consp bufn) (cdr bufn) (get-buffer bufn)))
+                    (and (with-current-buffer bufn
+                           (derived-mode-p 'eww-mode))
+                         (not (eq bufn curbuf))))))))

 (defun eww-toggle-fonts ()
   "Toggle whether to use monospaced or font-enabled layouts."

--